Waste management is a big challenge
Pollution on earth is a big issue and Waste management is a great challenge to be tackled. Pollution can be from dumping of waste material, radioactive pollution or by other means .Smog causing air pollution is a big problem in Mexico .Russia is having much of radioactive contamination. .
Some of the landfills of world are as follows-:
Apex Regional Landfill, Las Vegas, Nevada
Lagos Dump, Nigeria
Sudokwon Landfill, South Korea
Puente Hills Landfill, Los Angeles, California
Fresh Kills Landfill, New York
Bordo Poniente Landfill, Nezahualcoyotl, Mexico
Great Pacific Garbage Patch, Pacific Ocean
Existing scenario of landfills in India – A big challenge
- In India, Dumping of waste and pollution through landfills is quite common. The capital Delhi alone has a large share of waste produce per day .So , Waste management is a great challenge . Production of waste is increasing day by day.
- Landfills near Ghazipur and Okhla can be seen as piled up waste as like big hillocks. The increase in size of these landfills hills are posing serious threats to environment
- In small places, the wastes are thrown near vacant places or nearby pond. This raises question on us being civilized and on other hand causing health hazards
- Existing scenario of landfills in India
- Landfills in India, has mixture of all types of waste like plastic, iron, food waste, cloth etc
- The Yamuna River in Delhi is worst hit by increase in production of waste. The toxic waste of industries and other waste are causing pollution
- The vegetable grown nearby Yamuna River has toxic lead and other harmful contaminants
- Child labour is commonly seen in landfills area. Small children’s below 14yrs can be seen collecting the waste material in and nearby landfill areas.
What is required to reduce the pollution in environment?
- Reduce the incoming waste in land fill by segregating organic and inorganic waste.
How to address pollution in landfills?
- The different types of waste materials should be collected separately
- The food waste, leaf, rotten fruits and vegetable can be used for compost plant. The focus should be on recycling the waste material
Originally posted 2017-05-29 06:23:12.