What is Mahila Aam Sabha/ Women Common Meetings ?
Mahila Aam Sabha/ Women Common Meetings is an innovative step in watershed development programmes that provides a platform to the women masses for expressing and sharing ideas, views and problems through an open meeting.
Mahila Aam Sabha/ Women Common Meetings – Why it is needed ?
- In general , the shy nature and other social reasons , acts as barrier for the women in Uttering words . Mahila Aam Sabha provides a better freedom to exchange their views on watershed related activities.
- More often , even if the woman do participate, they are not actively involved . So, simply their presence is not effective in getting their watershed related problems.
- No social action plan in watershed management can be a success until and unless it has active involvement of women right from planning to execution.
How effective is Mahila Aam Sabha/ Women Common Meetings ?
- The watershed related problems of women finds due place in watershed plan.
- Mahila Aam Sabha helps to break the big barrier of gender based hesitation .This way the woman masses gets a better opportunity to express their problem in an open discussion.
- Once the problem comes from the group of woman’s in Mahila Aam Sabha , it widens the scope of solution to their problems through series of negotiations with project staff
- Mahila Aam Sabha provide a better scope in understanding the watershed related issues of woman masses.
Mahila Aam Sabha/ Women Common Meetings-Significance in Hilly areas
While discussing about the hills of Uttarakhand and adjoining Himachal Pradesh ,the involvement of woman becomes more significant . Here the large share of economy is women based . While making a plan for any schemes or for watershed programmes , the women’s role is significant. Likewise while implementation and execution of plan , it is important to include woman as an important stake holders .
Mahila Aam Sabha/ Women Common Meetings -Key benefits
- Women get well acquainted to new upcoming technique in watershed management .
- It provide a base for active participation of women in agriculture , and allied activities
- It provide a better scope for women to be linked with Income generating activities
- It is nice platform for women to discuss and address their needs
- It enhances the information level of women regarding watershed activities
- Women’s needs and requirements related to watershed finds due place in watershed plan
- It provide a platform for women so as to have complete involvement and taking part in decision making process