What is watershed
- Watershed is defined as a Geo-hydro logical unit from which water drains out from a common point.
- The Watershed boundary is called the drainage divide.
- Large watersheds are sometimes referred to as river basins.
Classification of watershed as per stream order
- Micro watershed (3rd and 4th stream order*)
- Sub-Watershed (5th stream order*)
- Watershed (6th stream order*)
- Catchment (7th stream order*)
*depends on delineation
What is Watershed Management ?
Watershed management is an integrated approach to manage and maximum development of land, water and plant resources to meet the basic needs of the local community in a sustainable manner.
principle of Watershed Management
- community participation in
- and maintenance of common asset.
Benefits of Watershed Management
- aquifer recharge, controlling floods, reducing erosion
- Increase in water discharge of natural water resources.
- Increase in productivity per unit area
- Increasing cropping intensity.
- ecological balance , sustainability
- Community participation strengthening
- Increase in income of the community .
Originally posted 2016-07-25 06:41:35.